Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Water

The past two days have been very eventful. I walked out into my back yard to take a picture of how ugly it is to send to my mom. It's just weeds, dirt and a big dead tree. Yuck. Any way, so as I am standing in the yard taking the picture I hear water. Well, I don't have sprinklers so hearing water rushing in my yard is not a good thing. After looking around I discovered where the water was coming from. There was a little hole with water spraying out of it.


Unfortunately in the picture you can't see the water, but you can see that the hole is not very big. I called the emergency maintenance line sat on hold for a while and then told them I had water in my yard. It took less time for someone to get to my house than the time I spend on hold. He pushed near the hole with his hand, it started collapsing so he went to grab a shovel. We then discovered a cave under my yard because of how long the water had been spraying out of the pipe.



They had to wait until the contractors came in the next day in order to get it fixed. Someone was supposed to come fence of the hole but never did. Thats not really a big deal to me since we don't have pets that go outside or kids that play in our yard so if someone fell in I wouldn't have felt bad since they shouldn't have been there anyway. 

Late this morning the contractors showed up. I couldn't hear most of the conversation that they were having in my back yard but I did hear "it's more than 4 feet" and many many swear words. The contractors then left, leaving their shovels in my yard. Then I hear the sound of a huge tractor. Oh joy. 


When they went to lunch my little hole was no longer little. I was told that it was the main line that supplies water to all of the houses around us. Thankfully they figured out that they could fix it with a joint and it wasn't necessary to shut off the water, which I was very happy about. He told me that the way they joined the pipes when they built our houses was probably not the best. If any dirt got in when they were joining them a leak is bound to happen.


Can I just say how happy I am that we haven't done our back yard yet. We are planning on taking care of it when we get back from vacation. A huge chunk of our grass would now be dug up. As it is that part of the yard is now weed free and closer to being ready for grass seed. 



I hope that we can get a really pretty lawn going on! I miss having grass since I haven't had it in a long time. I am starting to like the idea of living somewhere green again, that just means most likely dealing with snow. 

Well. That was my adventure for the past two days. Normally I end saying something about you enjoying the posted object like I do, but in this case I didn't enjoy it and I hope that you don't either. I will be back before to long with some craft projects to share. Talk with you soon! 


No comments:

Post a Comment