Monday, March 12, 2012

Best grilled chicken ever!

I am beginning to feel a little guilty. I am the only one out of the friends that I follow who didn't write a blog post tonight. So I deiced to go ahead and post one, even though I was about to head to bed. I want to tell you how proud of my self I was for dinner tonight. I was going to make cheesy chicken and rice in the slow cooker, got my chicken out, trimmed it down and cut the breasts in half as I always do for slow cooker chicken. Next ingredient needed was cream of chicken soup, not a problem, I have a stock pile because I use it so often. Um.... did I mention I use it often, the stock pile is gone. I ran to the shopette because they have some food items, but no luck, the commissary is closed on Mondays and by the time I went all the way into town to Walmart, found what I needed, wandered around and looked at everything under the sun (you know you do it too), waited in line, and drove back my chicken wouldn't have had time to cook for the full 7-8 hours. So this brings us to dilemma #2, I grocery shop on Tuesdays, so on Mondays the kitchen is pretty bare. I have chicken cut in strips, a lemon and some spices.... Grilled chicken!! I whipped up a marinade with just the things I had left in my kitchen, I must say that it was the best grilled chicken I have ever had. Hubby says my cooking is always good and I never stick to the recipe anyway, so he wasn't surprised that it was amazing. I will share the recipe with you to the best of my knowledge, I didn't measure anything, so these are all just guesses, feel free to add or decrease at your pleasure. I must admit that I am not just sharing this recipe for your enjoyment. I am also sharing it so that I can remember what I put in it. I usually use fresh dill in grilled chicken, I must say that I loved the rosemary though. I love fresh herbs, I miss my herb garden, I will be growing one again soon.

Amys grilled chicken

2 chicken breasts (cut in half, probably not necessary)
Salt & Pepper to taste (my to taste is more pepper and way less salt)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 teaspoons of white wine vinager
1/2 lemon worth of zest
1/2 lemon worth of juice (it probably would be better with more, but I only had one lemon and needed the rest for the rice)
1/2 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped finely
1 teaspoon dill weed
1 teaspoon oregeno
1 freaking huge garlic clove (had it not been a mutant garlic clove, I would have used 2-3)

Mix it all up in a gallon size bag and let it refrigerate for a few hours. When you go out to light the grill to let it warm up take the chicken out of the fridge so it can warm up slightly, it grills better this way. Grill for 10-12 minutes, or until done, turning once.

I served this with lemon rice, it's a staple in our house, I make it probably 2-3 times per week, could be why I almost always have lemons on hand. This was a recipe that my mom gave me years ago, I have changed it a little and I haven't looked at the recipe in a long long time. Super simple recipe as follows...

I use minute rice, so I follow the recipe on the box, I change the water for chicken broth and the juice of one lemon, I also add in lemon pepper and italian seasoning, I don't measure, I just sprinkle it into the pan until it looks good, I don't skimp on the spices. Bring everything to a boil, stir in the rice, let it sit for 5 minutes and enjoy, I don't think it can be any easier.

If you make the chicken let me know, if you change anything tell me how it turns out. This is one recipe you defiantly don't have to follow exactly to make it taste good.

I didn't know that I was going to be blogging about this because I didn't know it was going to be so worthy of one, so next time I make it I will take a picture and add it to this post so you can see how delicious it looks1


UPDATE: 

Made the chicken again, today (St. Paddy's day). It was just as delicious as the first, a little different since I don't measure, but still amazing. Anyway, I took a picture this time. It's kind of a boring picture, but you can see the deliciousness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment