Friday, March 16, 2012

New Desk

If you have been in my craft room (which isn't many people) you would know that it is kind of a mess, and I am not just referring to the half cut sheets of paper all over the floor. Since my craft room is the newest room in the house, and in our other house I didn't use it all that much, it has the least amount of furniture and a lot of hand me down/old stuff that doesn't match or really suit my needs. I have been telling my husband that I need a new desk now that I have my Cricut. Because if the Cricut is on the desk, I have to sit on the floor for everything else. I finally found a way to make it so that I didn't need to sit on the floor, but it really looked like crap. I put my Cricut on one of those plastic drawer sets and put it next to my desk. After learning that with it in line with my desk I couldn't see the screen or the key board very well and my chair doesn't move very well on carpet I discovered what I really needed was an "L" shaped desk. So I made a little redneck L with my desk and the plastic drawers. My cricut was basically in the middle of the room, it looked like crap, but it worked. Since the surface of my desk was so small, I had stuff stuck to the wall with handy tack and 3M strips so that I could still use it, but it wasn't in my way when I needed the desk space. Let me give you a visual of the mess that was my work space.


Functional, but really ugly. I loved my little desk, I spent a lot of time making it look cute, I used mod podge for the first time to put the floral fabric on it. It sure was cute. I put it up on a local for sale site and it was gone in seconds (literally) I had four people in the span of 1 minute say that they wanted it. I guess giving it away for free probably helped. I didn't feel right for charging for a desk that was so old and that I had poured glue all over. 

But on to how I got the new desk, as I said before I had been telling my husband that I needed a new desk for months. I think in his head I "wanted" a new desk and was trying to make it a "need". I had been looking at desks for a while, trying to find one that was inexpensive, but would suit my needs. I really wanted and L with drawers and a hutch, it didn't take long to discover that what I wanted was going to cost hundreds of dollars, I wasn't willing to do that. If/when we have kids, my craft room will be the room that goes away, probably taking my desk with it. Anyway, about two weeks ago my husband walked in and saw me with my laptop on the floor, a Cricut mat in my lap, I was pulling something off the wall and my project taking up the entire desk. It finally hit him that I really did need a bigger desk and gave me the go ahead to pick one out and buy it. He agreed on it not making much sense to spend a lot. He has a super nice desk that we can share if the time comes.

I found a desk I wanted from Walmart, it was cheap and would serve my needs, no drawers, but a cute little hutch. I will admit that the hutch really wouldn't benefit me much, it had one little cupboard and a shelf, but it was cheap and L shaped. On a whim I stopped into the Staples on the way home from the "mall" ( I use quotes because I don't think it should be called a mall) on Wednesday. I found a beautiful, L shaped desk, no drawers or hutch, but a cute little shelf that is better than a hutch because it's accessible from my chair. It is much deeper and much longer than the one I had picked out from Walmart, and pretty much better in every way but the color (I like darker woods). I didn't tell you the best part, it was on clearance for way under my desk budget, and even cheaper than the one from Walmart. I called hubby, called again, and again, sent him a picture asking if I can go ahead and get it. No answer, so I told the guy I would be back because I had to ask hubby before I made a big purchase. We got home at about the same time, and he asked if I bought the desk.... um, no, I was being nice and asking first. So we took my sub woofers out of my trunk, headed back to Staples, and bought the last one they had in stock.

Isn't it just perfect? There is a place for everything and I still have room to work on my projects. Plus my computer no longer has to sit on the floor. I am so in love with it all I want to do is spend time at my desk. I made my first project on it last night, a cover for my husbands work binder. It turned out really cute, I cut the Air Force symbol by hand, I am super proud of the way it turned out.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my new desk as much as I enjoy seeing it. Hopefully It won't be long before I am back to tell you about more upgrades to my craft room. I am hoping to have a fully nice space soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment