Thursday, March 8, 2012

Peeling Garlic

A few months ago a saw a video that changed my life in the kitchen, literally! I don't know about your house but in this house we love garlic. But I hate, loathe, and despise (feel free to add any other words that fit) peeling garlic. It starts to get sticky and the smell lingers on your fingers for hours. The problem is that fresh garlic is so much better than the stuff in the jar (even though I keep a jar of garlic for days I am feeling really lazy). The video I saw was how to peel an entire head of garlic in seconds. Well, it's just me and my hubby that I cook for most nights so using an entire head of garlic in one meal might be a bit much, even though we love garlic. In the video he breaks up the garlic by smashing it with his palm, puts it in two big metal mixing bowls and shakes the crap out of it. I don't have two metal mixing bowls and I think that would be a bit over kill for my needs, so this is how I do it.

 For this particular recipe I needed three cloves. So I popped them off of the head.

 Put them into a small glass with any extra papers that are laying on the counter (only because I usually take out the garlic and dump the rest right into the trash)

 Take another small glass and put them together so that the open sides line up. Hold onto it tightly with your palm along the line and two fingers on each glass (or how ever is comfortable for you that you won't drop one). Then shake the dickens out of it for a few seconds making sure that it is banging on the bottom of both glasses.

And voila, peeled garlic in seconds. I usually take a knife and cut off the end that was attached because it's not pretty and doesn't look edible then it's ready to use. Pretty nifty huh? I hope that you get as much use out of this little trick as I do. If you would like to see the original video you can see it HERE.

Thanks for reading and I will be back soon with more awesome tips, maybe more from the kitchen. I have been ignoring one of my favorite parts of life on this blog. I love cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment