Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Happy Birthday Hubby!!

Today is my amazing husbands 29th birthday. I had a few surprises for him, I am in love with the card I made him. But first I will tell you about my epic accident prone moment. When I asked my husband what he wanted for his birthday he made a list of foods that he wanted to eat. He loves my cooking. One of the things he wanted was a roast. No problem, roast is easy, brown it in the pan, put in some soup and forget about it for a few hours (or try to forget about it, they smell so good). Anyway, I was heating a little olive oil in my slow cooker pan on the stove to brown the outside of the roast to give it a nice color. I went to flip the roast off of the little butcher tray (like I always do) but this time the roast slipped off the tray and the little plastic sheet that sits under the roast landed in the oil and made it pop all over my arm. Then melted to my pan (thankfully it came off easy).

I took this picture about 5 hours after it happened. All the little red dots are raised welts. It hurts like crazy. I am hoping that it feels better tomorrow. Not long after this happened I also ran into a counter, hit my head and stabbed my hand on a fork in the dishwasher. I am now seated on my couch snuggled in a soft blanked and trying to avoid anything hot or sharp.

Once all of that was over I actually got to celebrate his birthday. Adding to his list of wanted foods was home made salsa, after I made that I moved on to his "cake". I use quotes because he doesn't like cake, I make him apple crisp instead. Not my first choice but he loves it. To make it more birthday-ish I put candles in it.

I guess it kind of looks like a cake in a weird way. I did a little something different this time and added some brown sugar to the crust. That was a hit, he loved it. I think I cooked it a tad to long but he loved the crunchy edge crust so I guess thats ok (he ate some off my plate too). I didn't sing but the candles sure are cute.

Now on to the good stuff... Presents and the card.

Every year I put his gifts in some kind of "super hero" wrapping or something else that he would find humorous, this year it was Transformers. He loved it.

He has a MacBook Pro that he absolutely loves. So I decided to model his card after it.
 Sorry if the screen looks a little funky, I took the picture after I wrote my message on it and I didn't really want the world to see my birthday message, so I photoshoped it out. It is the same color as the keys.
I think it turned out quite cute. I am proud of it. It is a little wobbly because I have been experimenting with different glues. This project would have been better with a tape type glue for the card portion so that it didn't get all warped, but its cute anyway. The paper is ColorBok Midnight Garden and the card stock is ColorBok Neutrals. I used my rotary cutter for a lot of it and Plantin SchoolBook for some. I now know that I need a punch that will round corners because cutting all of the round edges by hand is not something I would choose to do again.

I know that I keep saying that I will be talking about my new embossing machine soon, but when I checked my tracking number it got pushed back another day, so maybe Monday? It usually takes a day longer to get here than what tracking says because we live in the middle of nowhere and now it is saying Saturday. I thought FedEx was supposed to be fast. It is so much slower than regular mail and I am really frustrated. I don't know that I will be ordering much from Joann.com anymore because this happened last time too, it took almost 3 weeks to get some embroidery floss (they had the color I wanted). At this rate it is much more beneficial to drive the hour + to civilization and shop in person. For many things it makes sense to order online because I am going to have to pay for gas anyway and shipping is usually cheaper. Hobby Lobby might be getting all of my business from now on. I wish Michael's did online ordering, I miss Michael's.

I will be back in a few days, maybe with an older project since I didn't make anything while I had the death cold, which I am thankfully over. I am also working on a little blanket for my cat, or as I like to call it, practice knitting. But he will love it, he loves afghans and if I make a little one it can be left out for him all the time. It's a win win. Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment