Monday, February 27, 2012

Melted Crayon Art

I have been seeing these awesome melted crayon art things everywhere. Mostly for preschools or kids rooms. Well, I don't have kids rooms or work in a preschool but I liked the way they looked so I decided to make some to hang in my craft room. I found different methods and different advice all over the internet. So I will show y'all what I did.

Things I used
2 8x10 canvases
2 boxes of 64 crayons
Hot glue gun & sticks
Blow dryer
News paper

I started with two 8x10 canvases and two boxes of CraZArt crayons. They said they were brighter colors.

Next I had an OCD moment and I laid all of the crayons out, with it's matching color (since I had two of each), in color groups and from light to dark. I chose to do blues and greens for one and pinks, reds, and purples for the other. I left out all of the other colors.
Then I figured out how many crayons I needed to fill the canvas and laid them out in the order I wanted. I wanted them to be kind of random but not combine together to much so I left the two same colors next to each other.

Then I took a hot glue gun and glued them on. I just did a little strip down the seam of the wrapper. I wanted all of the crayon labels to be the same and this was a good guide so that they were.

Next I propped it up next to a wall with news paper behind it. I suggest going far out to the sides with the newspaper, or doing it outside. It splatters quite a bit.

Remember me telling you it splatters? Yeah, if the news paper falls and you need to move it turn the blow dryer away or you will get splattered too.

This was the result of my melted crayon art project. I really like the way they turned out. I also loved some of the ones I saw with words and pictures while I was poking around on google images so I added words to both of mine before I hung them up. They didn't turn out quite like I wanted but I like them anyway. I have a professional blow dryer and I think that it just might have been to hot. I tried to do it on warm, which is like hot on a normal blow dryer but then I was worried that it wasn't hot enough.

They have a nice little home on the wall in my craft room. They really brighten it up in there since my walls are still plain white and I haven't hung much up. I used Rolly Polly on Planton School book for the words. I used scrapbook paper and stuck them on with a tape runner.

This project was a lot of fun. I am considering making another one with the orange and brown crayons that I have left over. I hope that you like looking at it as much as I enjoyed making it. I will be back soon to show you some super cute sunflower stuff I made for a friend.

2 comments:

  1. Love it!! Going to try this with the kids this summer... outside :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! I hope they turn out cute. Outside is a really good idea!! Thank you for checking mine out.

      Delete